Gratitude



Gratitude is a pretty powerful tool. Lately, the heat has made being pregnant increasingly more uncomfortable and, to be honest, the medical bills and little extra costs add up and eclipse most of our disposable income. It's been a pretty rough and hot July.

A little pregnancy update: I'm well into the second trimester and was feeling so much better and so happy to have escaped the nausea of the first trimester, until a few weeks ago. The heat (or something) seemed to come out of nowhere and now I find it very difficult to catch my breath, often getting lightheaded and/or having dizzy spells. I've also been getting sick for the first time. First trimester nausea stuck with me pretty much all day and kept me on my toes, wondering and half expecting an episode. This nausea comes out of nowhere like a ton of bricks and strikes without warning. Hard. I was not prepared for this and it has made life a little more unpredictable. (That being said, it has in no way diminished the immense joy and gratitude we have for this little miracle that we can't wait to meet!)

Now, back to gratitude. I am very grateful to have an excellent team of care providers who have helped me through the tougher times--grateful to have a mother who is a member of that team and has provided care above and beyond the norm. Beyond grateful to have a husband who will lay in bed and watch Miss Marple with me for hours on end and refill my water glass. And so very grateful to have the church community we do, who have provided endless support, love, food, and friendship.

These things really help put into perspective how fortunate we are. This is just a season. A relatively short season, too. In just a few months our little girl will be here and we will have entered into a whole new season with all new challenges and blessings. But I know the support and encouragement of family, friends, and community will not cease with the change in season. Just as our Father's love for us never ceases. For that I am so grateful.

Michael's current favorite worship song has been "Another in the Fire" by Hillsong UNITED. The lyrics state:


There was another in the fire
Standing next to me
There was another in the waters
Holding back the seas
And should I ever need reminding
Of how I've been set free
There is a cross that bears the burden
Where another died for me
There is another in the fire


It continues:


There'll be another in the fire
Standing next to me
There'll be another in the waters
Holding back the seas
And should I ever need reminding
How good You've been to me
I'll count the joy come every battle
'Cause I know that's where You'll be
I can see the light


We were discussing the significance of the shift in tense throughout the song (shout out to Furman for that B.A. in English). Because He was and is and has yet to come. He's been there, He is there, and He will always be there. Standing in the fire, right beside us. Not to mention, we're never the only humans standing in the fire. If you ask around, you will always find someone standing in a fire of their own. There is a strength and a sense of community that can only be instilled under fire. Smooth seas never made skilled sailors, so to speak. So count the joy come every battle. Know that God never allows pain for no reason. There's always growth and rebirth, and a silver lining to every cloud.


Best,
Emily

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulled Pork

Follow Up

2020 Focus