Hello March

I'm popping in to give a little update on my progress, focusing better in 2020.

Some changes I've made so far:





JacobJewelry - I closed up shop and took a few weeks off at the end of February. I used the time to do a bit of rebranding, restructuring, and housecleaning, going through all of my designs with a strict eye for detail and a high set of standards. This greatly restricted the number of listings I offer, but I am so very pleased with their quality and style.

I purchased many new, upgraded materials, and even found a great bead seller that abides by international fair trade regulations and has the most beautiful handmade beads from artisans in Ghana, Nepal, and elsewhere around the world. This is not something I had considered important for my business before, but now I can't believe I overlooked such an easy way to "give far"--see this post for more on that. The pricing has changed a bit for some pieces because of this, but overall prices remain very comparable. Plus, all domestic orders now ship free! I look very forward to introducing two new designs featuring these recycled glass, hand wrapped, or polished wood or bone beads each season. I'm already working on the design I plan to introduce for Spring and love it!




I have also included the scripture that inspired it all, Genesis 37:3, on my new business cards and shop page. I've updated my "why" and thought a lot more about my intentions for my business and profits. I want to provide beautiful gifts for people (just as Jacob did), but I also want to bless others with my work who don't even shop or receive earrings. St. Jude Children's Hospital has always been my favorite organization to support with personal charitable giving, but it has become even more meaningful to me since I had my daughter and I've decided to increase my giving to their research efforts. My goal is to donate 5% of my annual profit. I've included information on my shop page with other ways to give to the organization for those who may be interested.

I'm quite pleased with these changes so far, and now that JacobJewelry.etsy.com is officially back up and running, I hope they will be well received by others.

At home - This may sound terribly simple, but to improve my focus and attitude at home I've deleted many of the most "time-sucking" apps from my phone and leave it to charge each night in my office downstairs, rather than on my nightstand by the bed. It's amazing the difference this tiny, easy change has made in my sleep habits and what consumes my thoughts most days. Instead of itching to check in on my favorite influencers or small shops, I'm winding down, spending more time with my own thoughts and emotions, and becoming more focused on what needs to be done in my home, with my business, or in my relationships. Go figure.

I've also had to learn to reach out when I just need a mental and emotional break. I'm usually one who is determined to do it all, I want to be able to do it all. I take my responsibilities very seriously and never want to burden others with things that are rightfully mine to manage. However. I cannot do it all. I certainly cannot do it all well. I have very quickly seen just how helpful a loving, healthy village can be when raising a child and managing the ensuing chaos. My marriage, my happiness, and my mental health depend on my budding ability to ask for help, so it's a new skill I'm going to need to hone over the course of this year.



That's about it so far. I hope to make more progress in the health of our finances, and we have a few home projects currently in the works that I hope to share next. These still need a lot of work and "focus," so you'll have to be patient with me. How is your 2020 going so far? Did you make any goals for yourself this year? Have you stuck with them or have they evolved since you've embarked on the journey?

Adulting well takes pretty consistent effort, if I do say so myself. Hang in there!





Best,
Emily

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulled Pork

Follow Up

2020 Focus