Clean Swap





So, thanks to @annaliesemeyer on Instagram, I've recently discovered a little thing called the Skin Deep Cosmetics Database by the Environmental Working Group. I've been looking into some of the ingredients used to make products we just toss in the cart at the grocery store without a second thought, even the so called "natural" ones I make sure to buy for my sensitive skin. Needless to say, it's been quite the eye opening experience and a tad alarming to learn what passes for "clean" for many companies.

(The irony is that it will probably be cell phone radiation that gets me, but if I can be the slightest bit preventative and intentional in my skincare and personal care choices, perhaps I can stave off some of those cancer concerns).

Making the switch from tried and true favorites to new products that are EWG verified (or close*) can be daunting. I imagined it would be--it certainly doesn't happen overnight and it can get pricey if you're not paying attention. I've had to do my research (easily one of my top five life skills) to find some products that are comparable in price point, actually clean, and pass the husband test. Michael would only buy from one proven brand until the day he dies if he could have his way. Customer loyalty and a healthy level of skepticism run his decision making process.

Without further ado, here are my new favorite finds to replace some of my other routine products:


HOME

First and foremost, Dr. Bronner's Pure Castile Liquid Soap*. This stuff is pretty amazing. Of course it's been around a while and many people have sung its praises to me in the past, but I'd never actually tried it myself. It's nice that it's widely available in stores and on Amazon, and a little goes a very long way. Much like using Young Living's Thieves or doTERRA's  OnGuard cleaner concentrates to clean your home, this is a very concentrated mixture that you simply dilute with water to use in multiple ways. You can mop your floors, wipe your counters and surfaces, clean produce, it can even be used as body wash. Talk about an all-in-one.

Seventh Generation products also seem to be pretty widely available, I can always find them at Target, and I've used many of their products in the past. I like their hand soap* and laundry detergent. I've used their dish soap in the past and was not impressed, but there are so many more options now I will have to give it another go.


BATH AND BODY

Another brand that I have used in the past and loved is Everyone. I was thrilled to learn most of their products are, in fact, clean. I've used their soap and lotion in the past without skin irritation, so I'm very pleased to continue using them, feeling affirmed in my decision. They smell delicious and fresh. We are currently using their face cleanser, but my husband claims the smell is a bit overwhelming so the search continues for his own cleanser.






So far, we've both enjoyed using Avalon Organics shampoo and conditioner. There is little to no lather, which is admittedly one of my favorite aspects of the hair washing experience, but I am a sucker for great smells and the clean (but not straw-like) feel of freshly washed hair. I've also been tempted to try Attitude and Everyone shampoos, but have not gotten there yet.

Since puberty, my husband has only worn Degree Cool Rush deodorant and I thought for sure he would fight me tooth and nail on this change. I literally grabbed this stick of Arrid XX* for $1.88 at Walmart a few weeks ago, recognizing it from the Skin Deep database, and brought it home just asking him to give it a shot. He's worn it every day since! And it's cheaper than Degree! If he changes nothing else, I will consider this my greatest victory. I have been using the Crystal Roll-On* deodorant, and I'm actually quite pleased with the round shape of the applicator as it's more comfortable and effective than the more oblong applicators I've used in the past.

I've recently discovered a new shop through Instagram, Skin Balm Apothecary, which is one of my new favorite places to find many skincare needs - I'm currently loving their clay masks, lip balms, eye balm, and just ordered the facial mist. They also carry natural deodorant for men and women, face cleanser, and natural body oils if lotion isn't your thing. Chelsea, the brains behind the operation, is super sweet with high clean standards and I can't wait to try everything she has in her shop.

MAKEUP

Now, for the most concerning topic in regards to clean living--makeup. Messy mineral powders and crushed berries is kind of the image that came to my mind, and you can forget defined brows or bold lips, right? Wrong! I've recently discovered Mineral Fusion products and I am a little in love. I've not tried a single product with which I've not been impressed. And I've used their tinted moisturizer, blush/bronzer, eyeliner, and mascara. I did actually find that this e.l.f. eyeshadow palette* is clean and was thrilled that I didn't have to invest in the far more expensive ones from Mineral Fusion, but I will easily repurchase my other regulars from them, as I have been so impressed and my skin has been so calm.






Lipstick is my favorite makeup product of all time and I'm so excited to still have an extensive selection with which to play. Burt's Bees lipsticks are actually clean, and Mineral Fusion has a beautiful selection of lip gloss, lip butter, and traditional lipstick. I currently own this gloss and have my eye on this lipstick. When I'm not wearing lipstick, I'm wearing Burt's Bees lip shimmers* or Skin Balm Apothecary's lip balms.



That seems like a ton of information. And it's dwindled down so much since I first started collecting ideas. I'm new and still navigating the world of clean living, but hopefully this makes it a little less daunting for anyone else who is still intimidated to jump in. I will continue to share as I learn more and try new products--actively searching for sunscreen, toothpaste, and hair products at the moment.

If you are more familiar with the world of clean living and have any products you simply cannot live without, please share in the comments or on Instagram and tag @jacobonashoestring or use #jacobonashoestring so I can see!


Best,
Emily



*EWG standards are very strict and not all of the products mentioned are "EWG verified," but they are all below a score of 2 on the 1-10 hazard scale, which is a level at which I am comfortable.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulled Pork

Follow Up

2020 Focus