Clean Duds


About a month into swapping out our old products for cleaner ones, I thought I'd share some of my finds that just did not measure up, unfortunately, to save someone else the heartache and headache. "Duds" may be too harsh a word, but I like the ring it has. I wanted to like these, and I'd had high hopes, but I just didn't find they delivered the results I desired or required--especially since cleaner products tend to be pricier than the very efficient, chemical-ridden ones. To be clear, most of these were not necessarily entirely ineffective, simply not a good option for me. Fortunately, it is a short list.





First up, this Natural Family Co. Sensitive Toothpaste. This was the closest I could find to an EWG verified sensitive toothpaste, and I bought it on Amazon for about $12. That's a lot for a toothpaste, in my opinion. Full disclosure, it worked fine and I did not experience any increase in sensitivity. In fact, I found it was quite effective for a natural product. Pretty petty, but I just could not stand the texture and taste. I found myself dreading brushing my teeth, and that's not ideal. It needs to be done. If sensitivity is not an issue for you, I think there are so many great options for EWG verified toothpastes out there that are both effective and pleasant to use, so this is not a great loss. If sensitivity is an issue for you but you are not sensitive to flavor or texture, this would probably be a good option for you. Everyone is different, don't just take my word for it!






Next, the Avalon Organics Damage Control Conditioner, specifically. I absolutely love all of the Avalon products I've tried--shampoo, lotion, etc. They smell amazing, they are effective, they are reasonably priced, and pretty accessible. This conditioner just did not do it for me. I found it just didn't have the "slip" I desire and I dreaded brushing out my wet hair just like when I was a little girl--sooo many knots and tangles. If I tried to use it as a leave-in in an attempt to detangle, it left my hair feeling stiff and unclean. Unfortunately, this particular Avalon Organics conditioner did not meet my personal standards. I have also been trying the Big Green Damage Care Hair Essence to help with the detangling process but, sadly, I've been unimpressed with that, too. It is also way too expensive, in my opinion, to be so ineffective.





Lastly, the Karma Naturals Nail Polish Remover. Everything else pictured above works well for me and I will repurchase. This nail polish remover, though, literally did nothing for me. Like, nothing. I scrubbed and rubbed and my nail polish simply looked like it needed another coat. I also found it on Amazon for just under $12, and I feel that is a bit pricey for nail polish remover. I returned it for a full refund--gotta love Amazon prime--but was pretty disappointed, as I'd had high hopes.


I hope this has been helpful for others on the hunt for natural and affordable products. The search seems endless sometimes, but I've had much more success than disappointment, so take heart! I believe it's possible and can be fun to find easily accessible, affordable, effective clean products.

Best,
Emily

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulled Pork

Follow Up

2020 Focus