Hello 2019




I am not a traditional resolution maker or goal setter. For the past few years I have felt an overwhelming tug on my heart and mind to really be intentional in one area of my life and make it my goal to pursue that one concept throughout the year, or as long as it takes. 

Last year, God really laid on my heart that I needed to “simplify.” Just that one word. I wasn’t entirely sure what it meant at the outset, but we ended up purging our house of furniture we didn’t need, clothing, old belongings we’d been dragging around each move without real purpose. I ended up leaving a job that had me sick and drained of energy all the time and took a huge leap of faith opening my own shop—a long time dream that had failed once before when I wasn’t ready yet. I ended up really simplifying my diet and routines, just ridding my life of excess. We eliminated some debt, lots of bad spending habits, and released ourselves from many unrealistic expectations. It was truly a year of simplifying in many ways--both expected and very unexpected.

This year, God has really been pushing the word “sanctuary,” and one of my favorite church songs from childhood is constantly running through my head:

“Lord, prepare me to be a sanctuary. Pure and holy, tried and true.
With thanksgiving, I’ll be a living sanctuary for you.”

I have always had trouble sleeping and it may sound crazy, but I’ve invited God to use that quiet time in my life to speak to me. It may be the only time He has my undivided attention some days, so I’m not really surprised He keeps me up at night to chat. That song has come to mind over and over again and soothes me right to sleep. I’m not sure what that’s going to look like (rather, what He has in mind) but I intend to do more listening to others, to be a calm and safe presence. I intend to have a more grateful heart. I try to never take the blessings in my life for granted, but it’s easy in America to take seemingly small things for granted every day. My next tank of gas, next paycheck, the grocery store across the street where I’m able to buy groceries as often as I need. A safe neighborhood, a running car, friends and family who care about me, time to read, even visits to the doctor (which I dread and avoid at all costs). I’m going to focus my energies on being more still. I love a good sanctuary full of voices worshiping in unison, but my favorite is the quiet sanctuary. I love helping with weddings at our church—going in before everyone else and cleaning and putting things in order. I’ll just roam the aisle and look at the pews, stare at the altar, admire the balcony and vaulted ceiling. It’s so quiet. It’s so peaceful. This will be my “goal” for 2019. And I’m sure God has lots of other lessons in mind along the way.

Here’s to a great new year!


Best,
Emily

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulled Pork

Follow Up

2020 Focus