Follow Up



So, my last post was about my thoughts on the upcoming new year, 2019. Actually, my last post contained several recipe ideas for pork. But seeing as we are now two months into that new year, I thought it appropriate to follow up on the effects of the word "sanctuary" as my focus for 2019.

I always go through a slump after the holidays. I'll be honest, I hate and dread that time of the year. January seems so hard and daunting and I just want to shut my eyes and get it over with. While I entered this year more hopeful than last, January did not disappoint. And by that, I mean it was quite the same as in years past. I entered my routine funk and slowly crawled out of it as February approached and then something quite miraculous happened. Prayers were answered and the sunshine returned and I began to realize a sort of peace I haven't had in a long time.

God often uses hardship, not just physical or emotional, but also mental hardship to strengthen our community with others. He never allows pain without rebirth. Some of my greatest and strongest relationships were born of some very difficult seasons in my life, and those people whom God used to bless me during those times hold a very dear place in my heart. Our marriage is no exception. I am constantly amazed at the depth of compassion and grace my husband is able to show me when I need it most. We have somehow managed to become even closer friends and partners in these first two months of 2019.

My shop! I don't even know how to put words to the enthusiasm and gratitude I have for this little "side hustle" that is really blossoming. It brings me such joy and I still can't believe I get to be creative and share my natural gifts as a sort of livelihood. Of course, none of it would be possible without the aforementioned wonderful husband and his hard work, support, salary, and benefits, but we seem to have stumbled into a real sweet spot here. I have found an excellent community, loyal customers, and cheerleaders in people whom I've never actually laid eyes on. It's incredible. Even if this endeavor never reaches more success than at this very moment, I will forever be humbled by and grateful for this experience.

Now the not so fun part. I have a long family history of Ulcerative Colitis, and while I've been on a low FODMAP diet for IBS for a couple years now, my situation has not improved. However, even in this I've found peace. My aunt graciously gifted me with the book that was able to answer many of her questions and now I believe I have a much better understanding of my body's physical relationship with food. I'm taking steps to learn more and being diligent seems to be paying off, so all hope is not lost. I'm beginning to fear food less, which is always a good thing.

Overall, I feel my home and its inhabitants have become more of a sanctuary, meal times are becoming safer, I am experiencing more joy than worry in business matters, and I have a sense of renewed hope. I read in my devotional today:

"Don't be afraid to believe that God made you for more and that He is preparing you for more than you could ever expect." - Lisa Kai

I never expected much. Not too much. Typical health, typical marriage, typical home, kids, dog, mid size SUV, 9 to 5, yearly vacations, etc. Now, though, I feel like God really is preparing me to be a sanctuary. "Pure and holy, tried and true." Free of contaminating thoughts. Set apart. Someone who may prove reliable again and again. He has so much more in mind than I ever could have expected. I hope I will continue to give thanks for all that He has already done and all that He has yet to do, so that I may be a living sanctuary for Him. That sure sounds better than what I had in mind.

I hope your 2019 has been off to a hopeful start. I know it's a time of sickness and maybe even debt or holiday recovery, but Spring is almost here! Hold tight!

Best,
Emily








Comments

  1. Dear Emily - I am thoroughly euphoric after reading your post! Your words are deep, thoughtful and full of hope and promise. I am so happy that you and Michael have found your "sweet spot" at such a young age. Some of us have to wait for decades before a blanket of peace descends, if it ever does. I am sorry I don't know you very well, but maybe that will change in the future. If you would like to be in touch occasionally, my email is jerry.cline1@gmail.com .

    Hugs!................Jerry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We certainly have our ups and downs but I have been very blessed with a great partner and a beautiful life. Thank you for reading along.

      Delete
    2. Looking forward to more posts by you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pulled Pork

2020 Focus