Sticking to a Budget

I will be the first to admit that it is not always easy to stick to a budget, especially a really strict one. There are certain times of the year I can pretty much count on myself breaking our budget due to stressors or circumstance, like holidays or vacations. No matter how much planning or prep or saving I may do, it always seems to be just too tempting to spend more than anticipated. I've gathered a few of the tips I've picked up over the years of setting and breaking budgets to hopefully provide some encouragement to anyone who may find themselves in the same boat.







  1. Give yourself grace. This has been a HUGE life lesson for me in general, but particularly when it comes to budgeting. I believe Dave Ramsey says that messing up with money doesn't make you bad with money, it just makes you human. Humans mess up. We can't help it. It happens. But every time I splurge a little or mess up with money, I make a plan to get back on track and I do my best to follow through. Emily Ley wrote a great book I've read titled Grace not Perfection, and it found its way into my life at just the right time to encourage me to adopt this mentality. I'm so grateful I have, and it also helps me to have more grace with others - bonus!
  2. Have an attitude of gratitude. During those inevitable times when I am tempted to go over budget, one thing that has really helped is to remember all the things I just had to have previously and should appreciate and enjoy. It wasn't all that long ago that I was crying because it seemed there was no way we could ever own our own home, or there was no way we could fix the AC in my car. I am still beyond grateful every morning I wake up and get to cook in our kitchen and sit in our living room or work in our office, and I also get to enjoy driving away in my nice, cool car when I do leave. 
  3. Distraction in the form of small blessings. Sometimes the best thing for me when I find myself wanting so many things or experiences that just aren't in our budget at that time is to just get away. Away from the materialism, advertising, popular culture, etc. We take a walk on the beach and enjoy a breathtaking sunset that no amount of money could buy. We go visit family nearby and have so much fun talking or playing board games that we forget the need for any more things. If you are fortunate enough, you could go out and catch lightning bugs or just enjoy their twinkling (we don't have them here, sadly). There are many things that are beautiful and free that we tend to overlook in our chase for the next big purchase or the newest gadget or trend. Slow down, look around. You may be surprised to find you didn't even really want that must have item.
  4. Try to limit impulse buys. In hindsight, it seems like most of those yolo purchases are the ones I end up regretting. Not always, but especially those larger purchases that end up meaning I can't purchase something I really would have used or enjoyed turn out to be a real bummer not too far down the road. I try to leave it and think about it for a day or two, see if I still really want it, and then maybe go back and buy it. I've also been known to just pick up an item and walk around the store with it to see if it "feels right" going home with me. Sometimes I feel more burdened than joyful at the idea of paying for it and I often end up returning it to the shelf before I check out.


Hopefully this gives someone a little boost of encouragement as we struggle through maintaining budgets. If there is still something you do need to purchase, try throwing change or bills in a clear jar or container kept in a good place in your house. This is how my brother and I earned our trampoline growing up, and I still remember our excitement as we performed chores for commission and watched our collection grow. We would pull it out and count it every week until, finally, we had enough for our big purchase. It sounds silly as an adult, but to this day that has been one of the most gratifying experiences and positive purchases - zero buyer's remorse here. Maybe give it a shot. Happy budgeting!



Best,
Emily

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulled Pork

Follow Up

2020 Focus