Spinach and Provolone Chicken

Finally! The promised next recipe. I've been meaning to write this and share it for weeks, but somehow Summer busyness is a thing and sneaks up on you last minute. I actually have not been able to spend much time in our kitchen the last couple weeks. But we're pretty much back to normal now, and here is the last family meal we enjoyed.


My husband absolutely loves this, and that's saying a lot. Especially for a fairly healthy dish. And it's so easy, it's foolproof. All you do is toss the ingredients into a baking dish and bake it for an hour at 350 degrees Farenheit. Literally. That's it.







Ingredients:

Chicken tenderloins- or breasts, whichever you prefer. Chicken is not my favorite meat, simply because it tends to seem very dry to me. I prefer the tenderloins because I find them to be less dry than chicken breasts. You can use as much chicken as you deem necessary for your family/dinner party. I usually use four if it's only two of us, but have used as many as I can cram into the dish to ensure plenty of leftovers. Very scientific, I know.

Seasoning- salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and basil. These are my favorites, always on repeat. As always, you can use fresh garlic or onions or basil if you prefer. I find the powders easier to digest and very flavorful (not to mention cost effective).

Balsamic vinegar- or Italian dressing or olive oil or a vinaigrette, if you prefer. This is right up my alley--very customizable recipes, usually dictated by what I have on hand.

Spinach- I like the Organic Baby Spinach I find in the produce section at Walmart, Target, or the grocery store. I'm not picky, but the boxes always seem to provide more bang for your buck than the sealed plastic bags and I am really not a fan of frozen or canned cooked spinach.

Provolone- of course, I have used any shredded cheese or sliced cheese I had on hand, but provolone is by far our favorite for this dish. I use thin slices because I prefer not to eat a lot of dairy, but my husband has always loved it and is very slowly giving it up in stages as he realizes it makes him feel better, too. If you don't have any problems with dairy, knock yourself out with as many of the thick slices or shredded goodness as you please. If you want to be real fancy, shred your own block!





Lay all of the chicken in your baking dish (sprayed with PAM to help with cleanup) and drizzle olive oil, vinegar, or dressing over the chicken. Then season pretty generously with the salt, pepper, garlic, onion, and basil.




Next, pile on all the spinach you want. I used the rest of ours because it had been in the fridge for a while and I do not like to throw out produce. It stinks. Literally. Lastly, lay your provolone (or sprinkle your shredded cheese) over the top of the bed of spinach, and you're done!

I cover mine with the glass lid from my Corningware and bake it in the oven for an hour at 350 degrees Farenheit. The whole house smells delicious and it comes out perfect every time.





Sometimes I serve this with roasted veggies or potatoes, sometimes with quinoa, and sometimes my husband eats it straight from the dish before I can stop him. Which I guess is okay for adults.

If you try making this or any of the other recipes I've shared, take a picture and share it on Instagram with #jacobonashoestring or tag me, @jacobonashoestring, so I can see! Bon Appetit!



Best,
Emily



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulled Pork

Follow Up

2020 Focus