Clean Skincare Routine


I've always had pretty sensitive skin--in more recent years, very sensitive skin--and have been intentional in purchasing products geared for that and devoid of previously known irritants. Since becoming more knowledgeable and switching to predominantly EWG verified products, I have noticed such a difference in the look, feel, and health of my skin. I have had exactly one, light outbreak of hives that lasted only a couple days and was not nearly as aggressive as I would usually experience during our hot, humid Charleston summers. My skin is healing more quickly, but with less need to do so. It's been great. I will never go back.

My main concerns when vetting new products are cancer and developmental toxicity. On top of that, though, products need to be easily accessible and budget friendly. I'm trying to set myself up for success. If I plan to stick with a new routine it needs to be super simple to implement and stick with. If products are too pricey, or too difficult to find and purchase, I know I simply won't repurchase them. So, being EWG verified alone does not qualify a product for my collection. It must meet all 3 criteria to make my list (clean, affordable, accessible), and the following definitely do.

So, without further ado, I will share with you my new beloved skincare routine.

Every evening:



I cleanse my face with the Everyone Face Cleanser in the shower. I love the smell and consistency of this soap and I find it does the job well. Also, it's about $7 on Amazon. Sold.



If I plan to use my Skin Balm Apothecary Detox Clay Mask, I will add a little baking soda to my face wash to help slough off any dead skin cells. At $27, this mask is a little pricey for me, in all honesty, but the owner and creator is so passionate and kind and her stuff is clean and wonderful. I use this mask every other day and I just love it. A little goes a long way, and it could not be easier to use with the brush she so thoughtfully includes. The mask wipes right off with a wet wash cloth when dry--none of that irritating scrubbing or feeling the need to rewash your skin and dry it out further. Seriously, if you try it, you'll love it.


After my skin is clean, I follow up with the Tree of Life Beauty Vitamin C Serum. I have loved this product for a while, and am grateful I don't have to swap it out for a cleaner alternative. Especially since it is $8-11 on Amazon and I've repurchased twice already. I've written about it before in this post. I haven't found anything that can beat that price or the results I've seen, and Amazon ships it right to my front door. Winner.




Next, I apply my Skin Balm Apothecary Eye Balm ($15) to my brows and lashes before finishing with a layer of my Mineral Fusion Nighttime Recovery Face Cream ($17-19). These products are admittedly a little pricey for my taste, but I find that if I do a thorough job at night my skin heals and calms as I sleep. Therefore, my morning routine is unbelievably short and sweet. I need fewer daily products, not to mention less makeup. So it sort of balances out and my skin is actually healthier, too, it doesn't just look clearer.

Every morning:

I simply splash a little warm water on my face, apply the ToLB Vitamin C Serum, SBA eye balm, and my Juice Beauty Stem Cellular CC Cream in Desert Glow. This is the first time I have purchased and used this product and I thought it would be a total waste of money for the amount you receive. I have been so pleasantly surprised, however, to learn that a little goes further than you may think and it has lasted longer than I'd anticipated. (Plus, I get my hair cut at the Ulta Salon and use my Ultamate Rewards Credit Card every time I do. I pay it off immediately and earn hundreds of points every few months, which can be redeemed for money off the only purchase I make from Ulta stores.)





I have mentioned on Instagram and another post that I've enjoyed using Mineral Fusion Sheer Tint Foundation in the past. I am still using it because I purchased it, and though the price is better and it is easily accessible, I find the color to be very orange for my skin. Like fell-asleep-in-the-tanning-salon-for-hours, fake-baked orange. I now think of it as a liquid bronzer and add just the tiniest, half a pea sized amount to my sunscreen on days when I'm not wearing makeup. This provides the perfect "sheer tint" of color, stretches two products, and provides great sun coverage.

My favorite pricey option for facial sunscreen is MyChelle Sun Shield, which goes on smoothly and is not greasy or sticky at all. My favorite budget option (and the one I am most likely to repurchase again and again) is Goddess Garden Organics, which I actually picked up at Walmart! I spread this sucker over my arms and neck, too. I picked up a small tube that's perfect for travel or carrying in your purse for about $2. I might have to grab a few more.


So, that's it! You can see it's a mix of items, ranging from $2-27. I like to keep things like soap and lotion simple, but "splurge" on night cream or products that are typically more irritating to my skin, like makeup and serums. Let me know if there are any products you just love, or any you would not waste your money on. Have you tried any of these products? I'm quite happy with them, but always love learning more about clean options and storing away that knowledge for future use.

I just received some great, handmade makeup products and I'll share my top picks for a natural makeup look once I've given everything a fair test and decide what's most worth repurchasing.


Best,
Emily


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulled Pork

Follow Up

2020 Focus